Looking back at my 2016 list, I’m quite happy with how many of my eagerly anticipated movies ended up surprising me and/or meeting my high hopes. There were only a few big letdowns (The BFG, Batman vs. Superman, Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) and only a few movies that I didn’t actually watch (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, Warcraft, Ghostbusters).
Will 2017 hold up to 2016’s level of excellence? We’ll find out. Here are the movies I’m eager to see:
- The LEGO Batman Movie (February 10): The trailer just makes me happy.
- Fist Fight (February 17): I need some good comedies to look forward to. I have no idea if this will be any good, but the trailer kind of looks funny? Maybe?
- Logan (March 3): This seems like the most muted superhero movie ever, which makes me incredibly intrigued.
- The Fate of the Furious (April 14): What can I say? I have a lot of fun watching Fast & Furious movies.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May 5): This is probably #1 on my list. My hopes are all too high for it.
- Wonder Woman (June 2): DC, I just can’t quit you. Please be good. Please be good.
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7): I loved Spidey’s brief appearance in Civil War. It looks like they nailed the casting and tone.
- War for the Planet of the Apes (July 14): This series has been one of the biggest surprises for me over the last few years.
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (July 21): I crave a really well-done, all-out sci-fi movie. With a string of disappointments over the years, I hope this one breaks the streak.
- Thor: Ragnarok (November 3): YES. I don’t know anything about this comic book plotline, and I don’t want to know anything until I show up at the theater.
- Justice League (November 17): DC, you have two chances this year to get it right. You can do it!
- Star Wars: Episode VIII (December 15): I gotta promise myself not to watch trailers this time. I really want to go into this knowing nothing.
Also curious about: The Mummy, Ghost in the Shell, John Wick 2, Baywatch, Dunkirk, Kong: Skull Island, The Dark Tower, Blade Runner 2049, Logan Lucky
What movies are you really looking forward to in 2017?