10 Fun Facts About Puerto Rico
I had the pleasure of vacationing in Puerto Rico last week. I’ll have a few PR-themed blog entries this week, but I thought I’d start out with a general overview of some fun facts about Puerto Rico.
- It’s not a foreign country! That’s right, it’s a U.S. commonwealth, like Virginia, my home state. That means you can go to PR without a passport.
- Despite Puerto Rico’s commonwealth status, cockfighting is legal there. [Edit: Thanks to an alert reader, I've been notified that cockfighting is not actually legal in PR. He said that "people just keep doing it."]
- The island is a beautiful, sunny, island paradise that’s only a 4-hour flight from Houston.
- Contrary to my impression of PR after 3 days, not all of PR is a resort, and most people don’t get around on golf carts.
- Traffic is absolutely horrible and the drivers are extremely aggressive.
- Food falls from trees in Puerto Rico.
- Customer service is essentially non-existent in PR, particularly in restaurants.
- There are packs of wild dogs in Puerto Rico. However, they’re not the mangy, scary wild dogs of Mexico. They’re cute and cuddly-looking. They’re packs of wild puppies, really.
- I never thought I’d say this, but there’s something better than Popeye’s chicken in PR. It’s a fast food restaurant called Pollo Tropical. It’s amazing. In fact, all of the food in PR is amazing.
- PR has both the best bartender in the world and the most bloodthirsty iguanas in the world. More on that later in the week.