5 Easy Ways to Prank Your Coworkers on April Fool’s Day
This year, April Fool’s Day falls on a Sunday, saving millions of coworkers from embarrassment.
Well, the joke’s on them, because April 2 counts as April Fool’s if April 1 falls on a weekend! I just made that up, but it’s official. I’m writing this on a day when I normally don’t write blog entries so that you can use this weekend to prank your coworkers.
There are lots of ways to prank someone, but I believe in these cardinal rules:
- An element of misdirection (although they’re funny, I don’t really count is as a “prank” when you simply fill someone’s office with cups of water or sticky notes, that sort of them. No one is fooled by that. They’re simply inconvenienced)
- An element of confusion.
- No hurt feelings or physical pain.
- No major inconvenience.
Based on those rules, I offer you 5 very easy ways to prank your workers on Monday. You might need to go into work on Sunday or very early on Monday to do these.
- Turn the volume up on everyone’s computer speakers to surprise them the next time they turn on their computers or play music.
- Put a small sticky note on the bottom of everyone’s optical mice covering the laser. They’ll be fooled for a few minutes for why their mouse doesn’t work (it’s the best if you can fool someone who is really tech savvy).
- Leave someone 20 voicemails of you breathing heavily into the receiver. The glory of this is that they have to listen to all of the voicemails in case there is a real one among them.
- When someone has everything minimized on their computer so that only their desktop is showing, hit “print screen” and then copy and paste the image into Paint. Open the image in full screen mode and minimize the real taskbar at the bottom so the person thinks they’re looking at their actual desktop, and yet they can’t click on anything.
- Go to VistaPrint and make a giant magnet like this one that my coworker pranked me with a few months ago. Put it on the passenger side door of your coworker’s car and see how long it takes them to realize it’s there.
If you try any of these or pull another prank this Sunday or Monday, let me know in the comments section!