The Best Concert I’ve Ever Been To
I haven’t been to that many concerts in my life, but I feel like I’ve said this at least a dozen times:
“That was by far the best concert I’ve ever been to.”
And then I say it again the next time. Maybe each consecutive concert is inherently better than the last.
A few very memorable concerts are as follows:
- Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis (I think the dome has been renamed dozens of times since then. Right now it’s probably something like the Dippin’ Dots/Zynga/Eat Fresh Dome). I’ll never forget how absolutely perfect their sound was. It was crisp and clear and big without blowing out your ears. They got the sound exactly right, and as a result, they rocked.
- Phoenix in Lousiville: I’m sure you’ve been to a concert where you’re on your feet the entire time and you feel like you share the same heartbeat with everyone else in the theater. That happened for most of the Phoenix concert. If you’ve never heard the song “Rome” live, you need to.
- Okerville River/The New Pornographers at The Pageant in St. Louis: I went for The New Pornographers, but I mention Okerville River here because they were absolutely incredible. It’s rare that you can hear a band for the first time and feel like you know all of their songs within a few minutes. And then The New Pornographers brought the house down. There was also a hot Asian girl in the vicinity, which always helps.
- Kings of Leon at The Pageant in St. Louis: I really don’t remember anything about this concert, but I feel like I should mention it because I was there before they got big.
- Deer Tick in St. Louis: I wrote about this experience way back in 2010 when I was young and nubile. It was a spontaneous act, going to see a band that I’d never heard of due to an extra ticket a friend had, and although I’m pretty sure I have permanent hearing loss due to the concert, it was worth it. I’ve been waiting for Deer Tick to return, and they’re finally coming back to St. Louis on May 16! If you’re a fan, let me know. Seriously. Let me know ASAP.
- Ray LaMontagne in Louisville: Definitely the most chill concert I’ve ever been to. We just sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the show.
- Tom Petty at Verizon Amphitheater (which has also been renamed a dozen times. Currently I’m pretty sure it’s the Baconnaise/Weight Watchers Amphitheater): I’ve seen Petty twice at the same outdoor concert area, and both times he was incredible.
But the best concert I’ve ever been to? I’m going to have to go with the most recent one: Guster at the Sheldon Concert Hall here in St. Louis. It was an acoustic concert, which let Guster show how talented they are. The show felt incredibly intimate due to the way they interacted with the crowd. It was as if we were all hanging out with Guster at a jam session. They’re still on their acoustic tour, so if you get the chance to see them, don’t miss out. And check out their Facebook page before you go to the concert. They might ask you to bring something.
Concerts I need to go to: U2, The Arcade Fire, The Generationals, The Heartless Bastards, Grouplove, and Van Morrison (is he still alive? Or will this require time travel? Is it worth creating an alternate universe just to see a band from the past?)
And most importantly, what’s the best concert YOU’VE ever been to? I’ll accept the top three if you can’t narrow it down.