The Kitten

Ever since I posted incessantly about my new kitten on the blog, friends and readers have been asking me about the kitten. Understandably so. I have been avoiding the topic for about a week and a half now, but it’s time for me to tell you what happened.

I took the kitten back to the Humane Society.

I know, I know, this is a terrible thing. I am a bad cat adoptee father. I thought I could handle it, but I couldn’t. I simply couldn’t.

I had the kitten for four weeks. He was, as you can see from the photo, unbearably cute. I adopted him so that Biddy could have a playmate, a best friend, a son. Biddy is a very social cat, and I thought he might like having someone around during the day while I was at work.

That part of the experiment wasn’t a complete failure. The two cats did, at times, wrestle and chase each other. But for the most part, the kitten did his own thing, and Biddy watched or hung out with me.

Let me explain what I mean by saying the kitten “did his own thing.” He was a terror. His claws were always out, and he was always biting or clawing something–not maliciously, mind you (he wasn’t evil). He was just dangerous, and despite repeated–constant–scoldings, he didn’t catch on. It was particularly bad at night, when I would wake up to some part of me being scratched. I didn’t sleep well for three weeks, and finally I started locking him out of the room at night, which is no way to raise a baby cat.

I spent most of that time wishing that I could take him back, but I felt bad about it because, after all, it’s the Humane Society–they put down animals that aren’t adopted. But I couldn’t take it anymore. Because of his behavior, I wasn’t raising him well at all. I had to let him go.

Which I did. You don’t get your money back when you return an animal to the Humane Society, so I at least felt like I had made a donation to the organization. I still get a little queasy thinking about leaving him on the counter in his adoption box. I didn’t even open it up to say goodbye. What kind of a person am I?

Will I try again in the future? Maybe. But as cute as kittens are, I think I’d have to go with a fully grown, declawed cat that likes to play with other cats. I think that might work for Biddy and for me. But for now, it’s just the two of us.

20 thoughts on “The Kitten”

1. Young man…..the first thing that comes to mind is to slap you on the head and say, he was a kitten! of course he’s going to behave badly. but if you couldn’t handle it, you did the right thing. it’s better than treating him like crap or throwing him out the door. a hard choice, but a necessary one.

oh, and if you buy one and take it back again, we’ll have some words^^

p.s. returning animals gets you blacklisted from the pound…or so i’ve heard.

• Exactly. And obviously I would never purposely treat him like crap, but I wouldn’t say I was particularly loving to him like a cat father should be.

Is your PS true?

• It depends on where you go. There isn’t a national list or anything like that. Basically it’s don’t ask don’t tell, but always be honest.

2. Wow its offical your a bad bad person lol if you couldnt handle him i would have suggested finding someone who could instead of the humane society again……but i guess you did the best you could and he’ll be missed 🙁

• Yeah, I thought about that–it’s a good suggestion. I wasn’t sure if the Humane Society would be too happy about that, though, since they screen people to see if they’d be good owners. I don’t know if I would screen as well as they do, and I didn’t want the kitten to end up in a bad home.

• Shoulda called “IrishFanOverKayaks” and “Rustolium” (names have been changed to protect the innocent). They’ve been looking for a cat for a while, and Irish’s childhood cat was Black & White too. I don’t think they would have said no, and they would be good parents.

3. tsk tsk. :: shakes head :: Even I would have taken him. But, I agree that it’s better to have someone else adopt him if you couldn’t think of someone else to take him, vs. abuse or neglect. You’re definitely getting a cat disease for karma over the fourth. O:-)

4. I’m sorry to hear that. Did you get Biddy as an adult cat? I’m surprised you didn’t declaw the kitten to help with the scratching problem. The biting issue might never go away—I speak from experience… though it can be controlled with proper training.

You did the right thing though and I’m sure the kitten will find a loving home. Kittens tend to get adopted quickly, but older cats have a harder time. If you try again, maybe look at adopting an adult cat the same age as Biddy. If there’s too much of an age difference they tend to have different energy levels. Just cat sitting a 2 year old cat seemed to really tire out (and annoy) my pretty energetic 6 year old cat. Just a thought if you consider adopting again.

• I actually got Biddy as a kitten, the same age as this cat. And although Biddy was playful and used his front class liberally while he had them, he was not a terror. He learned quite quickly the things he could scratch and the things that he couldn’t. I did want to declaw the kitten, but I had to wait another week and a half, and I had a sense that he was still going to be crazy after that.

I think that’s a great idea of adopting a cat the same age as Biddy. I’m going to give it a little time, but if the Humane Society will have me back, I’ll look into the possibility in a few months to a year.

5. Jamey,
    I’m disappointed that you didn’t take the most logical route to keeping your new kitty from being a terror and clawing everything, Kitten Mittons.

6. I don’t see anything wrong with returning kitten. It’s not like you just abandoned him out your front door and left him to fend for himself, you put him back where he came from which you should be applauded for. I think if you attempt to find a playmate for Biddy in the future, you might want to try an adult cat like you are thinking. You also might want to consider a female cat since in my experiences, 2 adult cats of the same gender don’t always get along very well. That would axe the whole bachelor pad, but it might work out better than 2 male cats. Just my thoughts, but anyway I support and fully back your decision to say goodbye to kitten.

• I like the hamster idea. I’ve considered doing that with a fish or bird, but I figured that’s the equivalent if psychological torture for the fish or bird.

7. Haha I like the hamster in a cage idea! Biddy might get tired of just watching it and end up having a snack someday though.