Pet Peeve #6: Women Breaking Into Song

Women do this thing.

I’m sure you’ve witnessed it. You’ll be at a gathering and someone will mention a song, and suddenly three or four girls are singing the first few lines or the refrain in “perfect” harmony. This is the best thing ever for these women.

For the rest of us, not so much. Especially if it happens more than once at the same gathering.

Granted, I think women have beautiful voices (really, anyone has a beautiful singing voice compared to me). I like to listen to women sing. But these spontaneous bursts of song are interruptions to a gathering, not pleasing additions.

What is it that makes certain songs as contagious as yawning for women? I think part of it is the feeling of togetherness. These women wouldn’t otherwise break into solos–it’s the camaraderie of belting out a song at the top of their lungs with their friends. For a few seconds, they get to feel like the Supremes.

Also, I should mention that I have experienced and known a few guys who have the spontaneous song gene, so it’s not exclusive to women. But I think those guys are the exception to the rule.

Have you witnessed (or partaken) in a spontaneous outbreak of song? Should I not be annoyed by this?

Daily Quickie: Go see Inception. See it when you’re fully alert and awake and have time to talk about it afterwards. Don’t ask me (or anyone) what it’s about. Just go see it.

14 Responses to “Pet Peeve #6: Women Breaking Into Song”

1. kara dean says:

I will admit, I have partaken in random outbursts of song. It is a crazy thing that mostly girls do. I feel like I do it often because my life IS a musical! There is constantly a song (or several) running through my mind. I have never thought of it as being an interruption before, but I suppose it is. It seems similar to people that quote lines from movies when a particular movie is mentioned or discussed!

I will see inception soon!

2. Red says:

I am a man who does both: Movie Quotes, and spontanneous song. It seems less acceptable for Guys to randomly sing, but I just wanna be heard! I also do Karaoke, and sing at bars with live bands and during concerts, but have never thought of joining a choir, or try out for American Idiot.

You just wanna be heard…but do people want to hear you? 🙂 You actually have a very good voice, John, so I’m sure most people enjoy it when you sing. I think choirs are the best place for it, but I’m not going to stop you if you sing at Festivus.

3. Ariel says:

I usually break out into song when I am alone. I love singing along with the radio, at concerts, during prayer – but I have a terrible voice, so I rarely sing in front of other people under circumstances in which I could be individually identified. You should not be annoyed. These woman are exhibiting a sense of comfort and acceptance which is leading to a lack of inhibition allowing them to sing.

4. Dionne says:

I’m annoyed that you are annoyed by this. I can understand IF it does happen more than once in one single gathering. Truly, IS there something wrong with a couple of people breaking out into the refrain of “Summer Nights” from Grease the musical, or singing a couple of bars of “Jesse’s Girl”? These songs evoke powerful memories of a carefree life and throwing-caution-to-the wind. I’m sorry if you can’t relate…lol.

(I still think you’re awesome, even if flawed..lol)

5. Anne Riley says:

I’m a high school teacher, so yes, I have witnessed this happen on several occasions – and it really drives me crazy too!

6. Lorena says:

My sister and I love to sing West Side Story… in the car… alone. I feel that should be an acceptable thing. And it’s always WITH the music. We’re no fools, we know we can’t sing well at all.

7. Orianna says:

lol Hey, a song a day keeps the something away, right? And I am usually on key.