Why We Kiss

The other day I read a fascinating article on why humans kiss.

They're so passionate about protecting their not-yet-conceived child from diseases!

Personally, I love to kiss. It’s such a fun, passionate gesture of connection. A good kisser can make a relationship just as a bad kisser can break it. Kissing’s a big deal in my book.

But kissing doesn’t seem to have much of an evolutionary point, does it? But according to scientists, there is actually a very good reason why we kiss.

Evolutionary, kissing is tied to having healthy babies. So say a man and a woman start to kiss, and one thing leads to another, and the woman gets pregnant. While they were kissing, the man was passing on germs to the woman to which both she and the baby can build up immunities. By the time the baby is born, it’s already immune to typical everyday germs from two different people.

Not very sexy, huh? I’ll try not to think about that the next time I’m making out.

Daily Quickie: If Middle Earth were a real place in New Zealand and Hogwarts was a real place in England–both with magic and creatures and danger–which one would you rather visit on your next vacation?

17 Responses to “Why We Kiss”

1. T-Mac says:

Ah yes…we started talking about the Middle Earth vs. Hogwarts conundrum yesterday, and a thought came to me at some point later in the evening. I think Rivendell makes the decision easy. I’d love to visit that place. Middle Earth gets my vote.

Rivendale is hard to beat. Middle Earth is a much more robust world than the world of Harry Potter, mainly because HP is grounded in the real world. The main case for Hogwarts would be that there’s much more stuff packed into one space. Plus you could take magic classes.

2. Red says:

Completely agree with the Middle Earth vs Hogwarts analysis, except to add that While ME is more “robust,” Hogwarts seems to have more modern conveniences. More of HP is based on individual experience, while LOTR is more world-based.

As for kissing, I believe that the “evolutionary benefit” (immunization) to be secondary. I did find a popular science article that agreed with the facts surrounding it, but I suspect that this is more of an anthropological than evolutionary evolution. From the articles I’ve read in the last 15 min, bottom line seems to be that while kissing came about because it felt good, there may be some side biological benefits as well.

3. Blogstalker says:

So I guess I should get back into kissing the opposite sex instead of just doing other activities with them. I can’t believe there’s actually a point to kissing, I don’t know if I should feel happy or disappointed.

4. Blogstalker says:

Yeah sure, we can call the activities bass fishing and knitting. I’m sure those are just as fun.

5. Ariel says:

Can hogwarts be in New Zealand? Because then it would win hands down.

6. JK Rowling discovered witchy sounding names including toadflax, goutwort, grommel, and others in Culpeper’s Complete Herbal, a renowned book of herbal lore from the 1600s.

7. Chelly says:

I’d just like to chime in and say that people who don’t like kissing are WEIRD.
    And I’d go to Hogwarts if I was a witch while I was there, if not then probably middle earth because New Zealand is gorgeous.