The Avengers: Awesome Sauce

I walked out of the Moolah Theater after seeing The Avengers about 2 hours ago. I really enjoyed the movie, and its level of awesomeness is slowly sinking in. It is truly a spectacular movie.

My favorite superhero movie of all time is The Incredibles. I honestly didn’t think we’d ever get a live-action movie that could come close to matching that movie. But then Spider-Man came out and it was really good, and it was followed in 2008 by Iron Man. I was elated when walking out of the theater having seen Iron Man. So elated, in fact, that I dressed up as Iron Man when I got home and wrote a blog entry about it.

I watched all of the subsequent Avengers-related movies after that (The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America), and I enjoyed all of them. Iron Man was still my clear favorite, with Captain America coming in second, and the other three are tied for third with their various successes and shortcomings.

So it was with a mix of trepidation and excitement that I saw The Avengers tonight. Really, my anticipation for this movie went well beyond Iron Man. I read The Avengers comic books when I was a kid. In some ways, I was hoping to see these characters come to life on screen for over 20 years.

And then it happened. It all came together. The film is brilliant–it’s big and bold and cinematic, and yet it’s funny and charming and captures the little moments with perfection. It is a movie that you must see on the big screen. I might even see it again, ideally in 2D (I saw it in 3D tonight, and I don’t know, I just can’t get into 3D).

I even had an Avengers moment during the movie. There was a woman sitting to my immediate right who decided about 2 hours into the movie that it was time to read and respond to e-mails on her phone. She wasn’t subtle about it–she held up the phone at eye level, and I couldn’t avoid the glare of the screen. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, and it’s downright inconsiderate to everyone behind you in the theater. I never say anything when I see this happening, but hell, I was watching an amazing move about superheroes, so I tapped her on the shoulder and asked her to stop e-mailing.  She grumbled to her boyfriend for about 5 minutes after that, but she did turn off her phone. It felt good.

Have you seen The Avengers? I’d love to know your thoughts. No spoilers, please.

30 thoughts on “The Avengers: Awesome Sauce”

1. I am giving you a virtual hi-5 for saying something to that girl! Go Jamey!

As far as the movie, I loved it. I have not seen all the Marvel movies and still this movie was easy to follow as far as story lines go. So if anyone is worried about that, don’t be, you’ll figure it out and it won’t take away from your minute experience. It will keep growing in you days after you watch it. I saw it on Friday in regular old 2D and….. It’s like an awesome, cinematic, superhero-packed fungus. A fungus I just might have to go get again! It’s that good.

• Thanks Shannon! I was a little scared to say something, but it felt like the right thing to do.

I’m glad you pointed out that The Avengers is accessible to anyone, even if you haven’t seen the other Marvel movies.

2. My bf is a crazy, hardcore comic book fan and follows the stories like you wouldn’t believe. When we started dating, the trailers for The Avengers were just coming out and he said, “We are going to see that. Have you seen the others?”

“The Others? Like with Nicole Kidman?” I asked.

“No, the movies with the heroes in them, like Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man.” he responded, rolling his eyes at my lack of knowledge.

“Well, I saw Iron Man 2….does that count?”

“No. Go sit down…we’re starting with Thor.”

And here I am, several movies later, completely hooked (mainly due to Thor’s incredible, shirtless body) and with a much better knowledge base on who “the others” are.

Thanks, baby.

• Ansley:

First, The Others? Really? (it’s actually a good film, but has it really stuck in your mind that much? Wow)

Second, you started with Thor? Interesting choice. Thor is definitely the most surreal of the movies because of all the magic. Everything else is grounded in real-world science and technology. But I’m glad you enjoyed Thor, if not for his sculpted frame alone.

• We started with Thor because he had it on DVD. I have to admit that I never saw Iron Man Uno, though…just Dos.

I loved the movie…very funny and entertaining, although I have to admit that X-Men will always be my favorite. Mainly because I am a mutant, albeit a closet mutant. I have crazy secret skills that you’ll never know about.

• Oh, I hope you watch Uno. It’s fantastic.

See, now you have to reveal your crazy secret skills. It’s not every day that a mutant comments on the blog.

• I will see IM Uno, just for you.

And fyi, there are actually quite a few of my fellow mutants posting on your blog. I’m just a little more open about my non-human status. Granted, I am still a bit secretive about my skills, but that’s mainly because I don’t want to be used for evil. I’ve heard that several covert government organizations monitor your blog and I can’t have my talents falling into the wrong hands.

• Michaela–The Hulk kind of stole the show, didn’t he? He had some of the best physical humor. Iron Man still had the best lines, though.

3. First off, I’m glad to see that Iron Man does have time for photo ops, since Captain America doesn’t. 🙂

Way to go with the superhero move of stopping annoying cell phone usage during the film! I’m surprised that the theater doesn’t have a policy against that- when I went opening night, an usher made an announcement that anyone using a phone for anything during the film would be asked to leave without a refund.

It truly is the best of the Marvel Superhero movies, at least until the next one comes out. There were so many awesome moments that I almost want to go back for a second time, despite my resolve to not see movies multiple times after The Hunger Games debacle, but I’m afraid that it would somehow not be as exciting since I’ve already seen the amazing action and heard the wonderful wit.

• Katy–Iron Man is all about photo ops!

The Moolah does have a policy against cell phone use, but it isn’t enforced.

“The Hunger Games debacle.” Excellent. 🙂

4. 1. Scooby Doo slippers. Wow.

2. I’m seeing it tonight with my softball team because we have a bye this week. I was a little “meh” at first, but you’re getting me excited for it now!

• Katie–The photo was taken when I lived with a girlfriend. Most of the components of that outfit are hers, including the pants, slippers, and yoga mat. But the photo lives on.

I hope you like the movie!

5. I will not see this movie. I do not like stories about a band of misfits who joins together, be it in print, on screen or Thursday night at 7.

• Honestly, I laughed when Thor said that along with everyone else (but I appreciate you thinking of me). To me, Thor was saying, “I don’t take responsibility for him,” but it was a little too close to insinuating that Loki isn’t his “real” brother. I probably shouldn’t have laughed. I guess I was enjoying the movie too much.

• I did notice that you laughed at that line, and I immediately thought of your recent post! I was wondering if you’d comment on that at all. I think I began to laugh and think about your blog post at nearly the exact same time, so it came out as somewhat of an awkward chortle.

• Yeah, it was just very different than the vast majority of adoption humor I see (particular the Kung Fu Panda variety). I think the line went something like this:

Thor: I will not have you talk about my brother that way!

Scarlet: He’s killed over 80 people in 2 days.

Thor (reconsiders): He’s adopted.

So it wasn’t too bad.

• You were at Esquire!? Me, too! I was there with some friends after chugging a glass of Mojito (best drink ever). We sat in the second row. I was not so excited about the movie and the seating sucked, but that drink kicked in and everything was daisy. Unexpectedly great movie.

And that’s what I thought, too! I was like, “Uh-oh. There’s going to be someone not liking this. The theater would have a spot of crickets in a sea of laughter.” That thought was gone in a split second from my tipsy mind and laughed along accompany by thunder of claps.

6. My fiancé and his friend saw The Avengers this weekend in 3D and said it was “epic” … and I’ve been hearing about it ever since! Lol. I’m gradually being introduced to all of the Marvel superhero movies, but I’ve already seen Spider Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Captain America. I liked Captain America the best.

So how do you feel about DC Comics versus Marvel? It’s hard to keep all of these guys straight! I’ve seen Green Lantern, but that’s it. My fiancé is excited about the new Man of Steel movie coming out next year … perhaps I’ll give that one a shot. 🙂

7. Epic is a great word for it. It would be cool if Marvel brought the Fantastic Four into the mix, as they’re known for fighting aliens.

I’m not as into the DC movies, but I’ll definitely see Man of Steel. And The Dark Knight Rises, of course. It would be cool if they put together a plan similar to Marvel’s.

8. I somewhat agree with your opinion. I LOVED The Avengers. Just a very fun and funny movie, filled with oh, so much eye candy. Where did they get so many sexy and svelte people together in one place? Seriously, I would hit every single person in that movie, even the extras. Haha… anyway, nice blog. 🙂

• Thanks Justin! I think we have different tastes (I prefer what Scarlett has going on), but either way, the film has some sort of eye candy for everyone!