Eat the Movie

when-harry-met-sally“I’ll have what she’s having.”

I love hearing about innovative concepts for movie theaters. So when this article caught my eye, I knew I had to share it.

The concept stems from movie theaters that serve food, but it takes that idea to a new level. The theater mentioned in the article serves the audience the same food that characters eat in the movie. How cool is that?!

The theater plans on showing well-known films with iconic food-based scenes. So I’m curious: What movie would you want to see if you were served the same food as the characters?

I’m sure there are many culinary delights out there in movies, but I’m going to go with Chocolat. I end up eating chocolate after watching that movie anyway, so I might as well partake during the film too. What about you?

12 thoughts on “Eat the Movie”

1. My choices would have to be “Ratatouille,” or “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

Even though I’m sure it would be very challenging to eat any of the dishes that the rat creates (or dreams about) while watching the movie in a dark theater, the way certain foods are described in “Ratatouille,” definitely stood out so much that I immediately thought of the scene where he’s describing how the addition of saffron would just *make* the scraps they’ve collected into a delicious feast.

And I think my reasons for “Charlie” are similar to your choice of “Chocolat.” 🙂

2. I would say “Sideways”, because they drink a lot of good wine and I’ve always wanted to go on a road trip solely based on wine-tasting and it just hasn’t happened yet. They’re grapes, so that counts as food right? 😉 Also, I’d have to agree with Katy on “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, the original though, not the acid-trip version with Johnny Depp. I used to watch that movie like 3 times a day when I was a kid, literally. Oh, and the other would be “Passion of the Christ” with the Last Supper. What a great concept though, feeling like you’re there in the movie with them through something like that! Love it!

3. I’m guessing they’re not going to be playing Supersize Me. I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard good things about the food in “Big Night” (great Italian).

4. Pretty much all of the iconic Brad Pitt movies feature him doing lots of eating. For whatever reason, he’s just one of those actors who can pull off looking suave while stuffing his face.

The other one that just sprung to mind is Yes Man when Jim Carrey goes crazy with Red Bull. But maybe drinks don’t count?

• Ooh Dustin- that’s a great point about Brad Pitt and his eating habits/scenes in his movie roles… Can I edit my original answer to include any of those films, too? 🙂

5. “Under the Tuscan Sun”

All the food scenes just make me salivate (which is absolutely not sexy, but I don’t care). The family style meals appeal to me because I love to cook and prepare gorgeous food for those I love….and then sit down to an extended meal where we take our time and talk and laugh and share a few bottles of good wine.

6. Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Hands down. Though I doubt a movie theater can serve the Michelin rated sushi that Jiro serves, one of his proteges opened up a restaurant in NYC at $150 a head for 20 pieces of the most sublime sushi you’ve ever had in your life…one of these days.

7. These are some fantastic answers. I never would have thought to eat sushi during a movie, but it would be a perfect fit for Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

8. I meant above, ack. Anyhow, has anyone experienced Dark Dining there in St. Louis? I think this idea and dark dining would make the movie experience that much more heightened (before or after the function that is).