Top 7 Most Anticipated Movies of 2018
As I started preparing this list, I had a hard time thinking of movies I was really excited about in 2018. However, it’s my memory that’s a problem, not the movies themselves, because there were 20 movies that ended up making my short list!
Please note that even though the list skews towards big, flashy action movies, I still really enjoy smaller, more intimate films. I may not get as excited about them in advance, but there’s a very good chance there are movies not on this list that will end up on my favorites list for 2018.
Originally this was going to be a Top 10 list, but I realized that there’s really a list of 7, and then there’s everything else.
First, the honorable mentions: Annihilation, Tomb Raider, Aquaman, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Ant-Man and the Wasp, The 15:17 to Paris, Game Night, Super Troopers 2, Oceans 8, Mission: Impossible 6, Venom, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Mortal Engines
Next, here’s the list, in order of release date:
- Black Panther (February 16): I love the Marvel movies, and this one seems completely different yet still connected and familiar. The lead actor was in Creed, a fantastic movie, so I have high hopes for this.
- Isle of Dogs (March 23): My favorite Wes Anderson movie is The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I think his style and humor are truly at home in stop-motion, so Isle of Dogs fits the bill. Plus, it’s set in Japan!
- Ready Player One (March 29): Oh man oh man oh man oh man. This is one of my favorite books, and I honestly thought it would be impossible to make a movie of this. I’m not sure if it’ll work at all on the big screen, but you can bet I’ll be there on opening weekend.
- Avengers: Infinity War (May 4): I love the ambition of this. The first trailer didn’t draw me in, but it has the potential to be huge.
- Deadpool 2 (May 18): I was delighted by the entirety of Deadpool, so if they continue with more of the same, I’m going to have a lot of fun watching this.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25): For some reason I thought this was coming out at Christmas. We just got a Star Wars movie, and now we get another one?! This is awesome!
- The Incredibles 2 (June 15): If I could see only one movie this year, it would be The Incredibles 2. The original movie is in my top 5 movies of all time, period. Brad Bird could have capitalized on its success and churned out a quick sequel, but he waited until he had an idea worth pursuing. I won’t be watching any trailers for this one, and I’ll be there opening day, wearing my Dash t-shirt.
What are a few movies you’re eagerly anticipating in 2018?