How Physically Close Do Your Pets Get to Each Other?

Biddy and Walter are friends about 25% of the time. The other 75% is spent either avoiding each other, meowing at each other, sitting in each others’ spots, and occasionally wrestling.

“Friends” might even be a strong word. Let’s go with “interactive acquaintances.” Here are a few of those recent interactions:

Walter spends a lot of time on this specific chair, and Biddy spends a lot of time on the table. Sometimes they switch.

This is an incredible rare sighting. Not only were the two cats on the same blanket at the same time, but Walter was there first and Biddy chose to join him.

I finished my dinner to find Walter sitting on this canvas grocery bag. Biddy, of course, had to investigate.

Biddy had first dibs on the sunshine on this day, but Walter (who is actually smaller than Biddy, even though it doesn’t look that way in this photo) declared himself Solar King.

This is Biddy waiting to grab a few pieces of kibble after Walter finishes eating. For some reason he put his face directly in the path of Walter’s bushy tail.

Finally we come full circle to the chair and table.

How do your pets interact?

8 Responses to “How Physically Close Do Your Pets Get to Each Other?”

  1. Erin H. says:

    I’ve had everything from mortal enemies (with vet bills) to inseparable. The current 3 get along great with 2 of the 3 usually in very close proximity or snuggling. It’s nice. Fidget wants to cuddle with the fish too.

    • Jamey Stegmaier says:

      I’d like to see how the fish cuddling works. 🙂

      • Erin H. says:

        I think the fish would cuddle in her belly. I used to have a black cat and a white cat that would sleep cuddled up like a yin-yang. I’ll have to find it and post on Instagram .

  2. Charles Dionne says:

    Thankfully my 2 dogs, Penny and Margo, get along great and are often seen playing or sleeping together. After we brought Margo home it took just a few minutes for Penny to show Margo that she’s the alpha dog and they soon became best friends. Here’s a picture of them looking out for squirrels at the dog park:

    They’ll occasionally get really frisky and run around the yard or fight over a toy or bone. Here’s Margo trying to steal Penny’s stick:

    The rest of their day is pretty much spent sleeping in a variety of seemingly very uncomfortable positions:

    That’s the life of Penny and Margo in a nutshell!

    • Jamey Stegmaier says:

      That sleep photo is amazing. If you didn’t tell me they were two separate dogs in that photo, I may have thought it was the same dog replicated in Photoshop. The positions are identical!

      • Charles Dionne says:

        I know! It doesn’t happen all the time but every now and then we find them sleeping in the exact same strange position next to each other. 🙂

  3. We are especially lucky. I’d say my cats are friends 95% of the time. Except for 9:00 at night, every night. For whatever reason, they decide that during that time they will have a turf war that includes chasing each other all over the house and attacking each other. 10 o clock hits and they’re snuggling again.

    • Jamey Stegmaier says:

      95% is excellent! That’s fascinating that they have one hour of antagonism each day, always at the same time.

Leave a Reply to Jamey Stegmaier