Of the 57 movies I watched this year, 21 of them received a 4.5 or 5.0 rating (out of 5), which is more than double the previous year. Maybe it was a great year for movies, or maybe I’m less cynical about being entertained than in the past.
This made creating today’s list more difficult than usual, but I’ve tried my best. Here are my top 10 movies I watched for the first time in 2018 (with comparisons to the movies that came close to usurping them):
10. The Founder (Isle of Dogs): These two movies actually have nothing to do with each other other than that it was a very close choice between 10 and 11. I ended up going for The Founder, as I really loved learning the story of McDonald’s, and it gave me some business ideas.
9. When We First Met (over What If and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before): This was such a good year for rom coms! Thank you, Netflix and Amazon. I’m not exactly sure why this one edged the others, but I just had a great time watching it, and I love time travel in movies.
8. Mission: Impossible Fallout (over Deadpool 2): The intensity of the set pieces in Mission: Impossible Fallout left me speechless, and I look forward to watching them again (though they won’t have same impact they did on the big screen–I’m really glad I watched this in the theater).
7. A Quiet Place (over Annihilation): This was another brilliant theater experience–I’ve never heard a theater so quiet and have that be a good thing.
6. Game Night (over Jumanji): I had some good laughs in the theater this year, but the funniest movie I watched was at home with Game Night. I think I may have laughed out loud close to a dozen times.
5. Searching (over Crazy Rich Asians): This may be one of the best mysteries I’ve ever watched on the big screen, as it gives the viewers all of the possible information the protagonist could have (and more, as there are things you notice that he doesn’t). I loved it.
4. Coco (over The Incredibles 2): I had high hopes for The Incredibles 2 given my extreme love for the original, yet Coco actually takes the win. It warmed my heart.
3. Logan Lucky (over Widows): This is one of my favorite heist movies ever. I’m hesitant to say more, as I don’t want to spoil anything, but if you like heist movies, I highly recommend this.
2. Green Book (over Black Panther): I saw a number of movies this year that made me reflect on race, and this was the best of them for me. I truly cared about the characters and felt like I knew them, and there were touches of humor at the right times.
1. Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 (over Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse): In terms of sheer entertainment, this movie reigns over all the others. I actually watched it twice (partially due to a subpar theater experience the first time). I can’t wait to watch it a third time, and I look forward to the final piece of the puzzle in a few months.
What were some of your favorite movies of 2018?