How Do You Prevent Your Monitor from Wobbling?

I have a problem.

In fact, I’ve had this problem for a long time, and I’m finally realizing that I genuinely need to find a permanent solution, not a temporary fix.

I work from home, spending most of my time on a desktop computer. I have two monitors, both of which are on my sit-stand desk, along with my keyboard, mouse, etc.

The problem is that whenever I type, my monitors wobble. So as I’m typing this blog post, looking at tiny letters on my screen, it’s actively wobbling. It’s like reading a book that is constantly vibrating. It’s nauseating.

My temporary fix has been to brace the monitors against each other. This sometimes stabilizes them, but not always. I wish I could mount my monitors on the wall, but I have a sit-stand desk, so that doesn’t work.

So I turn to you, dear readers. Have you experienced this problem? How did you fix it? Is there a special wobble-free mount I could use to attach the monitors to my desk? Or are there certain desktop monitors that guarantee a wobble-free experience?

UPDATE: Here’s my solution!

34 thoughts on “How Do You Prevent Your Monitor from Wobbling?”

1. Is this a monitor stand problem, or is this an issue related to your Uplift desk?

If the problem predates the Uplift, then any decent dual-monitor mount should do great for stabilizing them. If it’s more about the Uplift itself (a desk I’m considering for myself, although I’d get the L-desk version) I’ve heard there’s a bit of wobble-factor when it’s fully raised. A side benefit of a dual-monitor mount is that you can have your monitors perfectly side-by-side if they’re on the same mount. However, this assumes your monitors have VESA mounts on the back. Not all monitors are mountable.

2. I don’t have an issue with this though definitely if I shake my Uplift it has much more movement than the large stationary Ikea desk next to it.

As Kyle mentioned – better monitors can be detached from their stands and attached to standard VESA arms. There are wall-mounted monitor arms which would completely separate them from your desk, though of course you would need to move them up and down whenever you adjust your desk height. Search your favorite prime online retailer for “dual wall monitor mount.”

3. Check out a brand called Ergotron. I got some a while back to try and ease neck and shoulder tension from a lot of hours in the IT world. Mine are desk-attached, but I noticed the same extra-wobble problem when I moved to a sit stand. Currently I solve it by placing two monitors against each other, but I recently saw Ergotron sells wall mount versions that have a huge range of motion up and down and seems like would perfectly solve your problem at any desk height. I’m definitely considering an upgrade…

4. i think you need to upgrade monitors. new, well built monitors shouldnt wobble.
    Or use a keyboard tray maybe?
    they do make dual monitor stands that should work with the uplift desk…

but good monitors shouldnt wobble…

• This is false. It is not down to the monitor being “cheap”. Either get a more solid desk, put the monitor on a more solid / heavy stand or base or vesa mount it either the wall or a monopod.

• I have a brand new LG 24″ monitor that wobbles a lot. In the same desk I have a 10 year-old Dell that does not wobble at all. 😉

5. Everyone who mentioned a dual monitor mount steered you right. It’ll travel up and down with your desk. If your desk is sturdy, your monitors will be too. Did anyone ask the question about whether or not you pound out blogs and responses? I know people who POUND their keyboards and nothing is going to help against that. 🙂

6. Replace your monitors with the old style CRT monitors. Those beasts are heavy! Preferably, a CGA style display so you don’t have to worry about those pesky colors too.

• I’ve had 2 monitors (one is brand new and expensive, but still wobbles a lot). My desk isn’t the sturdiest but when I’m just using my laptop it doesn’t wobble at all, which makes me think it’s definitely the monitor that’s wobbly. Very frustrating because I thought a new, supposedly good monitor wouldn’t wobble

7. I have the same issue. I used a book to stabilise the monitor, failing that place it on the edge of the table close to one of the legs, inconvenient , impracticable yes but it sorts out the wobbling. Using a mount is another solution but if you are anything like me, spending more then £200 on a monitor which as the ability to wall mount, is not a viable option.

8. Move your sit-stand desk about 1/4 inch from the wall, and wedge in a small triangular piece of styrofoam between the wall and the top of the desk when the desk it at standing height – this will stop the desk shaking. If you move the desk back to sitting position, the wedge will just pop out (if you forget to remove it)

• Just tried this and it’s game changing, thanks! I was going crazy over the wobble on a new monitor and mount using an ikea desk. Moved the desk back and wedged pieces of the packing styrofoam from the monitor, and it’s basically rock solid. Try this first!

• You’re a good send!

Anyone wants to fix their wobbly monitor, TRY THIS FIRST!

I’ve a LG34WN80C, great monitor and a cheap Flexispot 48×30″ EC-1 sit/stand desk. I had the same issue as OP. i.e., monitor wobble. For one, I can tell this specific monitor’s stand is NOT that great when it comes to stability, when compared to Dell stands. And this issue further exacerbated with my poor craftsmanship of sit/stand desk (it doesn’t sway or anything, but there’s def. some level of level at higher elevations).

I did something similar to suggestion of placing Styrofoam wedge (I ended up placing a 1/2″ carboard piece between the wall and the edge of the my desk (lengthwise, right side). BOOM! The shaking almost reduced by 75%.

There is still some shake left, as I didn’t put any support between the back end of the wall and the standing desk, but this is was a quick fix which cost me nothing.

There’s also the manual setup that one has to do every time the desk is setup, which is annoying, hey, but I also have some extra $$$ left in my pocket!

So thanks….

• This worked amazingly! Thank you. Saved me lots of trouble. I’m using foam door stops. Search Amazon for “XCEL 10-Pack Door Stoppers, Minimalist Design, Premium Neoprene Rubber, Water and Weather Resistant, Multi Surface gripping Wedge, Made in USA”

9. I had the same problem, 2 monitors that were nice but I think the metal plate at bottom made them unlevelled and caused them to wobble when typing or bumping desk. Anyway, I just so happen to have some Scotch double sided mount tape squares. Put 2 on bottom of each monitor BOOM! Fixed

10. Hello all. I have the same issue but my desk is part of a cubicle system. I have a Vesa corner raiser with two adjustable arms for my monitors. I have moved the desk back and forth, screwed it in on top and bottom, velcro them together, etc. They are also pushed back a far a possible to be even with the actual post to support their center of gravity. When I type normally and when I raise my hands they wobble. Any suggestions?

11. Thanks for these suggestions. I didn’t have any packing material or rubber doorstops, so I ending up using a flexible soft leather shoe with a rubber sole, where the rubber is toward the desk, and the leather is toward the wall. The unexpected advantage of this is that it raises and lowers with the desk and doesn’t smudge the wall, while the rubber provides the rigidity needed to stop the wobble. I think other objects would work similarly well. For example, an old slipper with a flexible rubber sole and a soft top would be ideal. Or you could try a rag on the other side of your packing material, as that might allow it to slide along the wall.

12. I know this is an old post, but i found that my monitors that had 1 stand in the center shook way more than others I’d seen with one on each end. So I simply measured the distance between the bottom of my monitor and my desk, and then cut 2 pieces of 2×4 to that exact length. Propped one up under either side of my monitors and voila, no more shaking on my uplift desk. I’m sure you could use anything (cardboard, cereal box, pringles can, etc) with the same effect. Good luck oh traveler of the web should you happen upon this comment!

13. Again, an old post but I had the same thing. Reading these solutions, I pushed my desk as close to the wall as possible (so almost flush because of skirting boards) and then maneuvered my screens to just touch the wall as well. As I’m typing this, all the shaking has now gone away (and I’m really hitting the keys here to make a point too!)