What’s Your Worst COVID Scare? (Part 1)

We’ve all had different journeys through the pandemic over the last 2+ years. I really, really do not want COVID, nor do I want to spread it to anyone else. Even if it’s just a mild cold for me, I don’t want it–I don’t want the risk that it wrecks my lungs and brain, that it takes away my smell or taste, or that has me join the 6.3 million people who have died from the virus.

As a result, I’ve been extremely cautious. I wear a mask into any public space, and when we host game nights, everyone must be vaccinated and masked. We’re vaccinated and double boosted.

On Saturday, I went over to a friend’s house to play games with him and his friend. I thought about wearing a mask, but it was just the three of us, and we’re all vaccinated and boosted. Unfortunately, on Monday, I got an email from the saying that my friend’s friend COVID symptoms on Sunday and tested positive on Monday.

Medical organizations have found that a person is most contagious when they either have symptoms or 1-2 days before they have symptoms, which is exactly the window I was in. I took a home test, which was negative, but 2 days after a potential exposure isn’t nearly enough time to really know.

So now I’m in the terrifying wait-and-see period. Days 3, 4, and 5 are the most precarious, but if I can clear day 5 with a negative test and no symptoms, I should be in the clear (but I’ll continue to test and be cautious after that too). I’ll need a little luck, though.

In the meantime, I want to keep Megan safe, so I’m quarantined to my office (and I wear a mask when I need to leave the office). Fortunately our TV is positioned so I can watch it from the office and Megan can sit much closer to it, so we’ve still been able to enjoy meals together. It isn’t foolproof, but sharing a little air is better than a lot of air. The cats, at least, are enjoying the air mattress.

As disappointed as I am by the exposure, the uncertainty of waiting adds a new level of anxiety. COVID’s slow incubation process is quite the enigma.

We’ll see what happens, and I’ll post again on Thursday, hopefully with good news.

In the meantime, what has been your worst COVID scare?

18 thoughts on “What’s Your Worst COVID Scare? (Part 1)”

1. My 3 kids got Covid. I didn’t. The worst part was when my eldest was having trouble breathing and didn’t have the energy to get out of bed, but the hospital said not to bring them in.

2. I just recovered from my second bout of Covid. I work in healthcare, we take all of the precautions we can, but sometimes it skips through and hits us.

This round, I started displaying intense symptoms very rapidly. I went to the ER and was given a series of COVID pills which helped quite a lot.

If you or anyone tests positive, please contact a medical provider and seek help. I hope you, Megan and your friends are all ok!

• I appreciate that advice, Christopher, and I’m glad those pills helped. Thank you for serving people through healthcare!

3. I drove home one of my kids from college, and two days later, they had symptoms, tested positive, so we started isolation, luckily it was a mild case. The rest of us masked for several days, and tested daily. None of us got it, but it took 8 days for a negative test from my collegian. I was most at risk due to the car ride. Fully vaxxed and boosted, which may have helped.

• Thanks for sharing, Scott. It’s that prolonged exposure that is scary, isn’t it? It’s a lot of air to share.

4. I have been fortunate enough to have avoided COVID so far. A number of years ago, I got deep vein thrombosis during a long flight home to Ireland (I live in Japan) which caused a blood clot that went to my lung and gave me a pulmonary embolism. Luckily I survived that, but it did leave me with 10% of my lung permanently damaged. Because of this experience, I have been very nervous about COVID and it’s possible effects on my lungs. My partner, Glai, and I barely left the apartment for 2 years (thank God for boardgames, eh!) and only recently have we really started to venture out again. We wear masks wherever we go, though every now and again we do visit a friend’s house for dinner, drinks and boardgames, and the masks come off when we are there. A couple of months ago, my friend and his family contracted COVID, and we had visited them a week before, so we were a bit nervous then. The worry was always there, niggling at the back of my mind, but fortunately neither Glai nor I contracted it.

I hope that all turns out well and that you haven’t been infected. It’s hard not to be anxious so best of luck to you with that, and I look forward to hearing some good news on Thursday!

5. Ohh Jamey, I’m sorry you are going through this. I’m glad you have solutions for isolating and finding comfort where you can.
    Our Covid story of note is that Joe came home from work on December 23, 2021 and went straight to bed. I looked at the girls and said, “Uh-oh.” Sure enough the next day he tested positive. Our whole extended family mobilized on Christmas Eve to get tested at Walgreens, and Joe was the only positive case, so my in-laws decided to host me and the girls for Christmas Eve dinner, and then we had a very subdued and masked Christmas day with Joe. He had a mild case, and we played a couple masked games of Obsession that week, while otherwise isolating and being as safe as we could. None of us came down with it! …not until much later in January, when the girls and I had it altogether and just camped out and snuggled for a week.
    It’s been such a long period of anxiety for all of us as a human race since the beginning of this pandemic, whether we’ve had it or not, and I hope we can come through it quickly. I’m praying for your health! Thanks for sharing what you are going through with us!

• I’m sorry your whole family went through that, Susannah, and that you all came out of it okay. As you allude to, there’s an odd sense of solace in the COVID anxiety shared by so many people around the world.

6. My worst covid scare is actually right now. I’ve been very cautious and safe this entire time. But on Monday someone I live with tested positive. I also started having cold like symptoms Monday night. I’ve tested negative twice on the at home test but I went ahead and got a pcr test done and am waiting for those results.

The unfortunate side to all this is that my first scare comes almost 6 months to the day since my first booster. Unfortunately people my age are still not allowed to get a second booster. Needless to say my anxiety is kind of at an all time high as I await my results.

7. I have to say that my wife and I remained fairly isolated at the beginning of the pandemic, but over time, ventured out and did a bit of traveling, all with caution and fully masked at all times. Now, more than a year after my first of two shots and more than six months since my booster, I’m far less concerned about contracting Covid as I’ve taken death off of the table. Instead, when we have a chance to meet in gatherings beyond our local friend group, such as small micro-cons which we’ve taken to attending (10-40 people at an AirBnB for a long weekend), I’m concerned that taking the home-kit tests will result in a false positive. So far, so good as we’ve managed to attend two smaller “cons” with SummerCon planned for next month. I’m surprised and dismayed that we do continue to see spikes across the country…please get vaccinated if you’re not; and even if you are vaccinated, please get the booster!

• I’m glad you’ve stayed safe and COVID-free so far, Joe! Like you, I’m a little less worried about the outcome of death, but I also think that COVID is a little different than other viruses in that it can have a long-term impact on your mind or body. I’d prefer to avoid that. 🙂