Help: We Need a New Lunchtime Show!

After recently finishing Unstable and Living With Yourself, Megan and I have tried out a few other lunchtime shows (20-30 minute shows, usually comedies), but none have hit home yet. I’m looking for recommendations.

As a starting point, here are some shows on our list that we plan to try at some point; if you highly recommend any of these, please let me know.

• Ghosts (British version)
  • One Piece
  • Acapulco
  • The Big Door Prize
  • The Reluctant Traveler
  • Scavenger’s Reign

Beyond that list, let me know anything else you suggest. It’s possible we’ve already watched it, but that’s okay! We have pretty much all streaming services in the US. Thanks!

15 thoughts on “Help: We Need a New Lunchtime Show!”

1. I really enjoy ‘Inside No. 9’ if you haven’t seen it yet. Every episode is a standalone story with it’s own little quirk (i.e. an episode filmed entirely in a closet, a heist episode without any spoken word, etc). Most episodes are comedic.

Highly recommended!

• Nice, I hope you enjoy it! This is the show I turned to when Black Mirror felt too dark and foreboding. Similar show structure and quality, but Inside No. 9 is much lighter…most of the time.

2. I’m not familiar with anything on your watchlist, but Joe and I have been enjoying the Australian comedy Fisk on Netflix. Short, a bit dry and a bit odd, with great characters. Laugh out loud at times.

3. Scavenger’s Reign is PHENOMENAL. Highly recommend, though it can be a bit ‘gross’ at times so maybe not the best lunchtime show!

4. Of your list, I have seen Acapulco, The Big Door Prize, and The Reluctant Traveler. And I enjoyed all three! Acapulco may feel a bit “cheesy” at times, but it’s a great, light, feelgood show. The Big Door Prize is really weird at times, but the good kind of weird. And The Reluctant Traveler is a funny and interesting travel documentary.

As for extra recommendations: if you like The Reluctant Traveler, you will also like “Long Way Up” (Apple TV+). Also on Apple TV+: “Trying” a a lovely comedy series. If you can stand musicals, you may enjoy “Schmigadoon” and “Central Park”. Shrinking, but I think you already watched that. Dickinson is enjoyable. And last but not least: Lessons in Chemistry. I don’t think it qualifies as a “Lunchtime Show”, but it’s so fantastic that I can’t NOT tip it, as an evening show if you wish.

On other networks: Young Sheldon, if you enjoyed The Big Bang Theory. Barry. Master of None, also a bit weird at times, but very clever. The Good Place. And finally: The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window — long title, a bit mysterious, but really great. Not sure if fit for lunchtime though.

• Thanks Karel! Megan has watched Schmigadoon, but I’ll ask about Central Park. She also watched Dickinson (we watched Shrinking together). I like Master of None, The Good Place, and The Woman in the House….

5. I highly recommend
    Corner Gas
    Big Bang Theory
    The Good Place

One Piece is good but you’re in for a long haul – currently over 1080 episodes and counting – a few of the arcs aren’t as good as the rest but overall a good show.

If you like Anime I would also highly recommend:
    Spy x Family
    Dr Stone
    My Hero Academia
    Assassination Classroom

6. The final season is really weak, but Kim’s Convenience was pretty entertaining. Miracle Workers (starring Steve Buscemi and Daniel Radcliffe) is a neat show where each season has (had?) the same cast, but the characters, setting, and story are completely different and unrelated.