What Is the Most Rewatchable Movie?

This is mostly just a question for you. I’m curious about what you think is the most rewatchable movie and why. You could also share what movie you’ve actually watched the most (though that doesn’t necessarily make it the most rewatchable).

Part of the reason I’m thinking about this is that we’re planning to rewatch Barbie soon, and I’m curious if we’ll enjoy it just as much the second time (especially since the first was in packed, all-pink theater–the atmosphere was amazing).

There aren’t many movies that I’ve watched more than once, and I’m sure I’ll miss some in the following list. But here are a few that I’ve enjoyed at least 3 times:

• The Prestige
  • The Incredibles
  • Fight Club
  • Star Wars (especially Episode V, Episode VII, and Rogue One)
  • There’s Something About Mary
  • Groundhog Day
  • The Matrix
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • The Avengers Infinity War Part 1
  • Iron Man
  • Galaxy Quest
  • The Fellowship of the Ring
  • Definitely, Maybe
  • Inside Man

I also recall watching Newsies and Hook a lot as a kid, though I haven’t rewatched them as an adult. The most rewatchable newer movie I’ve seen is the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

I’m very curious to hear your answers!

21 thoughts on “What Is the Most Rewatchable Movie?”

1. Agree on The Prestige and Hook.
    Ocean’s 11 used to fall into this. Die Hard, Indiana Jones, original Star Wars movies.
    Stardust is probably our biggest one we rewatch.

• Oceans 11 could definitely be on my list. I feel like I’ve watched Stardust, but I’m not entirely sure…I’ll watch the trailer to refresh my memory.

2. My three most watched movies are Die Hard (gotta be more than 20), The Fugitive (with Ford and Jones) and the controversial one, Titanic. In Titanic I was fascinated by the world, the social classes and the disaster story, it was all so well told and acted that, with a VHS tape in my hand and a bunch of free weekends, I just watched it over and over again. Having said that I don’t see myself now with work and family watching any movie more than once. I also became very picky with American movie story telling which is so formulaic, many times I don’t even want to watch them once (yeah I know I sound like a snob). The last movie I watched twice was
    Parasite which is a masterpiece.

3. Remembered another one I watched more than 5 times, Trading Places with Murphy and Akroyd. Such a great comedy. Another one dealing with social classes, I guess I’m fascinated with the topic.

Looking up Trading Places reminded me of A Fish Called Wanda, another brilliant comedy that I can watch over and over.

A Man From Earth is one of the most underrated movies ever, fascinating story of a man who doesn’t die. The acting is patchy but the story is so good, I had to rewatch it multiple times.

4. My all time ‘desert island’ movie would be Lawrence of Arabia. Movies with far less pedigree – but still very re-watchable are Pulp Fiction, Raising Arizona and Office Space I watch them often.

And I really like Nir’s selections – especially A Fish Called Wanda and A Man From Earth. Great choices!

Die Hard, all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies are solid choices too!

5. I rewatch movies a lot, but mostly for background or white noise.

LOTR triology extended edition – at least once a year, Star Trek 1-3, How To Train Your Dragon, Disney movies, etc.

I watched the Pianist 10 times to maximize the money I spent on it back when DVDs were new. I don’t recommend that.

6. We recently watched The Princess Bride in a packed theatre. It was my first time to see it in a theatre but it was one of my boys favorite childhood movies. (On VHS). Cary Elwes was also there for a talkback after the movie). It was great fun. Audience say all the “As you wish” along with him. Cheering for the good guys. Booing and laughing at the bad guys. Most fun I have ever had watching a movie I had seen countless times.

7. “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” for me. I’ll always watch it when given a chance.

For television series, probably “Blackadder” or “Red Dwarf”.

8. There is a great podcast about this topic from the ringer called The Rewatchables that you may enjoy! For my pick, I would say Crimson Tide. It’s not my favorite film, but I think of it as one of the most rewatchable movies, for whatever reason. I watch it at least once a year.

9. I loved re-watching the Princess Bride when I was younger. It was my “go to” geeky date movie, a good way to see if romantic partners were into the fantasy genre. And it has so many classic lines!

10. I regularly rewatch:

1) the ‘burbs
    2) Real Genius
    3) You’ve Got Mail

I also play Studio 60 in the background whenever I work, I have probably.played the first ten episodes about 130+ times each.
    I just love the reality and the purpose the characters all have. It’s inspiring, and Sorkin writes dialogue like no one else.

But when I’m trying to not pay attention to the show (pure background noise or distracting my brain near bedtime) the first LotR or Hobbit film extended always gets the job done. They’re so gemtle and slow to start, it’s easy to lull myself to sleep as I drift in and out of the dialogue (the volume of which is barely above a whisper on my screen)

• I think Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (full title for the unfamiliar) is phenomenal. I’ve never seen anything that comes close to the drama that takes place within a comedy show taking place within a drama show. Cancelled far too soon.

11. A Top Five List in no particular order:

1. Star Wars: A New Hope – Aside from the film being a stone cold classic, basically any frame from the film can (and probably will) spawn another story in the Star Wars Universe or beyond. The cantina scene is about seven minutes and prompted fifteen original stories for Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. Hard to beat that kind of efficiency.

2. The Matrix – Speaking of efficiency, think of how the number of credits in the special effects department has exponentially increased since 1999. For a film that still looks better than many new releases, every stunt proves that creativity can solve money problems, but money cannot solve creativity problems.

3. Annie Hall – Just as Star Wars blew open sci-fi/fantasy in 1977, Annie Hall did the same thing for comedy about five weeks prior. So funny that they cut jokes out so the laughs didn’t drown out important story dialogue, it’s still the gold standard in both setups and punchlines.

4. American Hustle – Seen three times in theaters: first in an empty theater, played as a drama; second in a full theater, played as a comedy; third in another full theater, played as a dramedy. Amazing to see the same lines and scenes prompt such a wide variety of reactions from audiences.

5. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three – Every performance (Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam, Jerry Stiller, and down the list) contains depths. Even after you know the train route, watching each character react and process their situation is thrilling time after time.

• I love the list! I haven’t seen the last film (and I’ve only seen Annie Hall and American Hustle once each).

12. I was one of the few who read and reread William Goldman’s The Princess Bride novel BEFORE the movie (with screenplay by William Goldman) was first released.

The modern movie that I have most rewatched on DVD is the comedy-horror film Freaky, starring Vince Vaughan and Kathryn Newton.