Who Is Your Gaming Soulmate? Here’s My Top 10
Out of respect for Dax, I haven’t cropped him out of this photo.
Do you have a gaming soulmate?
By this I mean: Is there a person–or a type of person–with whom you prefer to play games with?
I’m generally happy to play games with anyone. Though, if I’m honest with myself, there are certainly some types of people with whom I have more fun when playing games. I’m talking specifically about gaming-related behavior, not other traits/characteristics.
So I’ve compiled a list of the gaming-related behaviors that appeal to me the most. In no particular order, here are the top 10 traits that define my gaming soulmate:
- Someone who puts their phone away and never looks at it (except maybe to take a quick photo of the game).
- Someone who is conscientious of time. That is, they think about their turn in advance so they’re pretty much ready to go when it’s back to them, but they don’t rush the game along.
- Someone who tries to win competitive games but keeps trying and doesn’t quit when they feel like they’ve fallen behind without much chance of catching up.
- Someone who treats their significant other–if they’re also in the game–with respect, but without any special privileges or concessions.
- Someone who helps with setup, cleanup, and in-game maintenance.
- Someone who is willing to learn games on the fly (i.e., they don’t need to know every rule in advance).
- Someone who doesn’t quarterback in cooperative games.
- Someone who is aware of rare moments of analysis paralysis and instead of letting the game grind to a halt, they simply make a decision and make the best of it.
- Someone who pays attention while learning the game and during the game.
- Someone who is able to make light of tough circumstances and commends other players for making impactful plays without taking it personally or blaming everyone else (or the game) for their misfortune.
Those are all things I try to do. I don’t always succeed, but I try. How many of those categories match with you? Would you add or change anything on your gaming soulmate list?