Top 10 Games I Want to Play for the First Time at Geekway Mini
I know, I just posted a top-10 list about board games last week. I even included games I wanted to play in 2017 but didn’t get the chance.
But…I’m attending a small game convention in a few days (Geekway Mini), and there are games I want to play there. So it’s on my mind. So I’m writing about it.
The qualifications for these games are that (a) I haven’t played them and (b) no one I know owns them. Basically, I’m curious about these games as both a gamer (who might buy them if I love them) and a designer (who wants to learn from clever designs).
The first half of the last are newer games, while the second half are a little older:
- Rajas of the Ganges: I’ve heard this has a neat crossover mechanism between the VP and time tracks (or something like that).
- Vengeance: The Ding & Dent early review of this game really had me hooked. It sounds like you get to play through a revenge movie!
- Bunny Kingdom: This one seems to have flown under the radar among gamers, but I’ve heard wonderful things about how simple, deep, and fun it is.
- When I Dream: I love the concept that one player wears a sleep mask and the other players try to give them clues (but one person is leading the astray).
- Indian Summer: Polyomino games like Patchwork make my brain happy, as does Uwe Rosenberg. I need to try this.
- Quest for El Dorado: I’ve heard this is similar–but different–to Clank, a deckbuilding, dungeon-dash game I really enjoy.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The team mechanisms in this seem really interesting, particularly the shared dice.
- The Golden Ages: I’m working on a civ game, and I’ve heard this is a solid, rules-light entry into that genre.
- Lords of Vegas: I’m in the mood to roll some dice, Euro style, so this seems like a good way to do that.
- Carson City: I think someone told me this is a game where players construct buildings that are used as action spaces, a mechanism I love.
Do you recommend any of these above the others? What games are you looking to try before you buy this year?
Oh, and if you’ll be at Geekway Mini and want to play any of these games with me, I’m in!